Friday, March 25, 2011

Finishing up My Vanity - Desk

I can't wait.  I have to share my new desk, turned vanity!


I used this tutorial from Centsational Girl for the paint technique.  I made a few adjustments to make my piece darker. Glidden's Peacock Blue replaced the turquoise.  Black paint left over from another project was used instead of white.  After attaching my applique and hunting down the perfect tutorial I noticed Cent. Girl used the same applique.  Great minds and all...HA, cuz you know I have no where NEAR her skills.  I was just impressed I put mine on in the right direction - whew! 

I love the overall effect and it turned out better than I imagined.
(The knobs are from Hobby Lobby.)

I 'SQUEEED' like a teenage girl meeting some pop idol (don't ask me who, I can't keep up) when the piece came together.  I even clapped and jumped up and down, much to the amusment of my husband.

Here's the transformation:

BEFORE
(you'll have to use your imagination - I forgot to snap a true before picture the drawers haven't been sanded at all)

AFTER


What I Learned
  • I love painting furniture
  • I am still scared of distressing, dry brushing and other such finishes - what if it doesn't turn out and I have to start over??  I love how it looks so I'll continue to face that fear.
  • Once you have some of the basic tools & supplies (ie: sander, sanding blocks, protective finish) refinishing furniture is really cheap! 
Next up on this project - repurposing the mirror from my old bathroom and finding a cute little stool. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - That vanity looks nice. Really liked what you added to the middle drawer. Will look so nice with a mirror. Mirror might look good with the same scroll work if you can fit it on. Love Grandma

Shanon Ridenour said...

Thanks! The mirror is actually the old mirror from my main bath. James just hung it for me the other day so I'll be painting it soon. Love you!