Wednesday, March 23, 2011

New Floor

Long ago we decided to replace several different types of flooring in our home with tile.  We were just dragging our heals on the project because of both time and money.  When we were kinda forced into a bathroom remodel it seemed like a great time to tackle the entire upstairs. 
We are nothing if not ambitious.
And maybe a little crazy.


We selected a great tile from Home Depot and with the help of my Father-In-Law we started tiling our entryway, hall way, bathroom, kitchen and dining room.  Can I just tell you how much fun it is to try to lay square tiles in a home that doesn't have a single square wall.  I was cross eyed by the time we were finished figuring out where to start.

I am so proud to say that I tiled the entire area myself (minus the handful my FIL did to teach me).  A little over 400 square feet.  Go Me!  James kept me supplied with tiles and cut the tiles when needed.  That was pretty much a full time job itself so I was very grateful for his help.


I love this floor.  The variations in each tile were a little unexpected and I was not happy when I first saw the light tiles.  The sample at the store had only dark tiles so when I opened up all my boxes and discovered the dark tiles weren't as common as the light tiles I almost returned them.  BUT... we were on a time table and I didn't have time to figure something else out.
I am so glad I kept these tiles!!  Gotta love it when things work out despite your fears. 

I'll admit that there is one tile, ONE, that bugs me.  I tried really hard to be sure that the tiles blended into the surrounding tiles but this one didn't.  grrrrr.  It's in the picture below - can you spot it or is it just me?
 

 
Ahh...
So much better than the four different flooring types we replaced.  I shared a picture of three of those in this post

Once again I learned something new about myself by redoing my floors.  I though I hated mopping.  I don't!  I just hated my floors, they never felt or looked clean no matter how much I scrubbed.  I mop all the time now - gotta keep my lovely tiles lovely!

The floors look so good with my new pantry doors.
More on those later...  LOVE THEM!

Oh yes, and because we can never finish a project...
The step is about a quarter inch bigger than the end piece tiles.  We either need to shave the step back a little bit or have a HUGE grout line after the edge piece.  We'll figure it out sooner or later... and maybe even get the new molding on too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

shanon - The tile looks great and love your new doors on kitchen pantry. Good ideas. Love Grandma