Friday, March 18, 2011

Progress On My Vanity

Each month I have a few (sometimes even just one) goal to get done on my home.  I feel like they are pretty realistic goals - but then again, I'm finishing up January's goal this weekend so I guess they aren't as wise of goals as I'd hoped.  Anyone else do that?  Anyone...  please... nope, just me - darn!

For the last year and a half I've been searching Craigslist & KSL for a used desk to turn into a makeup vanity for myself.  I had some pretty specific requirements for the desk as well as a desire to have something really girlie with some great curves.  I see all these deals that people get on Craigslist around blogland and I feel completely jealous!  There was nothing for less than $200 and even the expensive pieces still would've needed to be refinished.  GAH!

I mentioned to my mom that I wanted to find a wood desk with little drawers on each side.  At this point I wasn't even worried about the curves.  Do you know what she said?  SHE HAD A DESK... and... SHE WAS WILLING TO PART WITH IT! 

(Mid-sanding)

I had completely forgotten about the little desk in her office (she has three desks in her office so it isn't hard to forget about one). I was so excited - not only did she have the perfect little desk but it would be something from my mom. Perfect! It's not curvy, and do you know what, I think I like it even more than my original vision.

I used about 100 sheets of sandpaper.  Okay, not really, but it sure felt like it.  I eventually borrowed a friends belt sander to get all the varnish and stain off the desk - it worked lickety-split!  I added a little doo-dad to the front panel and was ready to paint.

More on the painting later - I'm so excited to see this project completed. :D

No comments: