Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Antiqued Cabinet

Let me lay the scene for you...

Christmas 2008 we went with a furniture theme for the kids. No fun for them, I know, but they all needed something for their rooms and it was LOTs of fun for Mom!

Our baby's piece of furniture was the first (and last) piece of furniture I've bought online. It was through a company I've done business with before so I trusted them and their pictures/descriptions. I ordered an antiqued cream linen closet for her room. The night before Christmas we were setting up the kids furniture and learned that her linen closet was green! Here is my beautiful antiqued crib next to this ugly green cabinet.
U. G. L. Y.


After the holidays I called to see what we could do to resolve the issue. The company wouldn't take it back without me spending money on shipping and to make matters even better they wouldn't refund any of the original shipping costs either. I took pictures of the color and other problems with the cabinet (yes there are other issues!) and sent them in. I got NO response. I wrote a review expressing my opinion of the product and they didn't post it on the website.


Just a little frustrating.


I decided to keep the cabinet and just fix it. It took me a while to get to the project because I was so upset but I finally started...


Jump and clap with me! I'm in LOVE with this cabinet now.

(please ignore the mess in the garage - it's one of those chores I rarely have time to do)

Here's how I got this beauty...
Anytime you're painting a finished piece of furniture you HAVE to lightly sand it and use primer.
Ask me how I know this... yup skipped this step once before and the paint peeled right off!

After a coat of cream spray paint I considered stopping there. The bed is antiqued and I really wanted it to match but I was scared to mess it up!

I gathered my courage and decided to antique it - like I planned. I used Thompson's WaterSeal Gel Stain in Sierra Brown. It was scary... really, really scary to cover up the cream with the brown stain. Working in small areas I applied the stain then rubbed it off all the areas I didn't want it on. I found I also had to use a wet cloth to get it to look like I wanted it to.

I spray painted the knobs a dark brown, covered a piece of cardboard in fabric to match the room and there it is!

Ahhhh Much better! Now I'll smile instead of cringe everytime I walk in the room! Sigh

Now to dress her up with all sorts of cuteness for my daughter... can't wait!

3 comments:

Ames said...

Oh my stars! You rock! Love it, and again I love the colors and feeling of your rooms. I'm so excited to see more of your creativity.. Someday it might seep into my pours as I read. :)

Unknown said...

You did such a great job!

Shanon Ridenour said...

Thanks ladies!