Sunday, October 4, 2009

Bat Chandelier

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. Since buying my home a few years back it seems we are working on a major project every year right around Halloween so I don’t spend time or money decorating. This year I decided it was time to change that. My first project was inspired by a decoration I found at pottery barn kids here. It’s cute but not $60 cute (now on sale for $45 but still not that cute)

Here’s my interpretation
SO DANG CUTE!
What you'll need:
3 cross-stitch hoops (I used a 12", 9" and 6")
Stringy Yarn
Craft Foam
Black Electrical Tape
Black Paint
Bat Shape - I used the one above.

Step 1: Paint the inside portion of the cross-stitch hoops black. You can use spray paint or any other craft paint. I used craft paint because it's what I had on hand.

Step 2: Cut your yarn. I cut mine 28" long and used 9 pieces for the chandelier and another 2 for the top. So a total of 11 lengths of yarn.

Step 3: Tie the yarn to the biggest hoop first spacing them as evenly as possible.

Step 4: This one was the trickiest step for me. I ended up using 2 Prego jars to hold the 9" hoop up while I tied them the string to it. Be sure to tie the knots loosely, we'll tighten them up later.

Step 5: Flip your chandelier right side up again and tie the top 2 strings in an X across the top - this is how you will hang your chandelier.

Step 6: Hang the chandelier (with only the two tiers done) and try to get it balanced. Once it's as level as you'd like tighten the knots. I actually spent a long time trying to get the hoops even but never really accomplished the goal. I figured it's for Halloween and a little crooked would only add to the effect - so mine's uneven on purpose /wink/wink/.

Step 7: Leave the chandelier hanging and attach the third tier. Another tricky step. Make sure everything is balanced and tighten the knots. You can also place a dab of craft glue on the inside where each string is attached to each hoop to add extra strength.

It's getting close - this is when I started getting excited.

Step 8: Trace your bat shapes onto craft foam and cut them out. I used 16 bats for mine.

Step 9: Attach the bats with pieces of black electrical tape.

Step 10: Husband asks why I hung the chandelier on the hook and suggests putting it over the light. GREAT IDEA!



Gives the entry way a nice creepy vibe!


4 comments:

Ames said...

Yours is even cuter than the one you copied!

Shanon Ridenour said...

Ahh, thanks Amy!

Anonymous said...

Shanon - What a cute Halloween decoration. You have good ideas. Love Grandma

Chad and Kristen said...

I like your SO much better!!!!! And I am a HUGE pottery barn kids fan!!! Amazing job!!!