Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kids Rooms Are SO Fun!

When I look at my creative endeavors over the past few years the project that I am the most proud of is my son's bedroom. It was the first room I really took the time to plan out and execute it fully and I couldn't be happier with the result.

The room was inspired by a rocking horse I got from my Grandpa Decker when I was 2 years old. It had been sitting in storage for countless years and needed to be refinished. This project itself was especially hard as my Grandpa passed during my pregnancy with Xander.



Here is what my rocking horse looked like before. It was made by my Grandfather and painted by my Grandmother and Aunt Liz.




I changed him up a bit. I tried to keep the face the same with the exception of the eyelashes.






I dragged my mother around to dozens of fabric stores looking for the perfect materials. I sewed everything in the room myself (except the sheet) without patterns.





Recovered and painted the rocking chair. Also painted the sidetable to match the closet doors.
We replaced the paneled closet doors with jut plain core doors, painted them red and added white trim to make them look like barn doors. :)


Making the border took longer than I had expected - but that was because I didn't think through everything I had planned. We had to hang to wood, staple up the rope, paint the little embelishements by hand (all 30 of them) then glue them on! Whew - talk about a project. The name was fun and once I got the layout of the rope figured out it went really smoothly. Painting the room was a blast. The bottom was done with a denim paint finish and the top was spounged on.



All 3 hats were white - I painted one tan and one brown (it's hard to see the difference in the picture but you can tell in the room) and sewed the had bands with scraps to match the rest of the room.



James was kind enough to make me a window box to match the border. The curtains were super easy to sew and I keep meaning to add some little details to them but they are still the same. This picture is a more recent one and has his toy box and rug that were added later.



Overall I LOVE the way this room turned out. Luckily I finshed everything just a few days before Xander decided it was time to join the family. My only wish is that I can be as happy with all my decorating attempts as I am with this one.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Hi, I'm Andrew Monks' wife Lisa (I was your sister's math teacher one year). I just had to tell you what an incredible room that is!!! Oh my goodness, I love everything in it. I wish you could decorate my house. Hey, if you see any cute airplane stuff for a boys room, let me know!

Shanon Ridenour said...

THANKS! I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for some good airplane ideas. I'm sure there's tons of cute ideas out there!

Anonymous said...

When multilevel marketing periods are challenging and determination is hard, use new techniques to purchase moving. By way of example, placed sticky notices throughout the house on the things you would like to improve at your residence once your earnings let it. This can be a concrete note of your respective targets which will drive you to achieve them. [url=http://www.x21w12w21.info]Matgjjmony[/url]